The Hammond-Harwood House, a National Historic Landmark, is an outstanding example of American colonial architecture. Built in 1774 as a town residence for Matthias Hammond, a legislator and planter, it was the final work of renowned architect William Buckland. With its carved entrance, formal rooms, and elegant scale, the building blends the artistry of the finest European architecture with the American sensibility.
TOURS: The Hammond-Harwood House is open to the public for tours. Subjects include social history, servants and enslaved people, architecture, paintings, and furniture. The museum collection of late 18th and early 19th century decorative arts has been called the finest in Maryland.