Item image

Macculloch Hall Historical Museum

Located in the heart of Morristown’s National Historic District, Macculloch Hall Historical Museum is an 1810 house with period rooms, exhibit galleries and historic gardens, featuring a large collection of original artwork by 19th century caricaturist Thomas Nast.  George Macculloch, a Scotsman born in Bombay, immigrated to America from London with his wife and two children in 1806. Settling in Morristown in 1810, Macculloch built a Federal-style brick mansion on a 26-acre gentleman’s farm.

Macculloch hall was acquired by Morristown philanthropist W. Parsons Todd in 1949 to house his collections.

Today, the museum is renowned for its major collection of works by America’s leading 19th century political cartoonist, Thomas Nast, who lived across the avenue. Nast is known for popularizing the Republican Elephant, Democratic Donkey, and America’s image of Santa Claus.

The museum’s three exhibit galleries complement ten period rooms furnished with fine English and American decorative arts.