Established in 1938, the Palm Springs Art Museum has become the center of the desert’s art community. What began as a museum about the desert has evolved into an oasis for the arts with Modern and Contemporary American works by artists such as Robert Motherwell, Helen Frankenthaler, Duane Hanson, and Mark di Suvero; Contemporary California painting and sculpture by Sam Francis, Edward Ruscha, Robert Arneson, Nathan Oliveira, and others; Studio Art Glass by Dale Chihuly, Howard Ben Tré, and William Morris; and Classic Western American Art by Thomas Moran, Charles Russell, Frederic Remington, and others. The modern building, designed by renowned California architect E. Stewart Williams, is the focal point of the 125,000-square-foot complex that also houses collections of Native American and Mesoamerican Art. Among the American photographers included in the Photography Collection are the Stephen H. Willard Collection and Archive, and the Bill Anderson Photography Collection. Architecture holdings include the Albert Frey Archive and Frey House II, and the E. Stewart Williams Architecture Archive.